Our Theta Chapter History
History of Theta Chapter is a service organization composed of professional nurses and graduate students. During the Civil War, the United States government established the Freedmen’s Bureau, which constructed approximately 50 provisional hospitals to treat illnesses related to poverty and racial oppression. At the turn of the century, three important northern minority hospitals and nurse training schools existed: • Freedman’s Hospital in Washington, D. C. (1894) • Frederick Douglas Memorial Hospital & Nurse Training School in Philadelphia (1895-1923) • Mercy Hospital School of Nursing (1907-1949).
Theta was chartered on April 4, 1948 through the combined efforts of registered nurses in the Nurses Alumnae of Douglas Memorial Hospital and the Sorority’s national officers. Our national arm is Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc., located in Washington, D.C. “Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc. is a national sorority of registered professional nurses and nursing students. Ms. Aliene C. Ewell organized the Sorority on October 16, 1932 with the assistance of 11 other courageous registered nurses. The charter chapter, Alpha, was organized at Freedman's Hospital in Washington D.C. for two specific purposes: elevating the plane of nursing and increasing interest in the field of nursing.” “The chapters are located throughout the United States, District of Columbia, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Island and Liberia West Africa” (Chi Eta Phi, 2014).
Theta Chapter, Chi Eta Phi is located within the Northeast Region of the United States. The Northeast Region is one of five (5) Regions of Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc.
Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Incorporated
Submitted by Past Basileus, Mary Thornton-Bowmer MSN FNP-BC, CRNP
Copyright © Theta Chapter, Chi Eta Phi. All rights reserved.